Senior and Pensioner Concessions

If you have a valid concession card, you could qualify for a rebate. To qualify, ratepayers must meet all the following criteria:

  • Is the owner, or co-owner, of a property which is your usual place of residence at the beginning of the current financial year.
  • Must hold a valid Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card, WA Seniors Card or both a WA Seniors Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

Concession will apply from the date an application is received.
To remain eligible for a rebate, ratepayers meeting the above criteria, must pay their rates notice in full, including concessional general rates, Emergency Services Levy, plus any arrears and or service charges by the end of that financial period, 30 June. It is not possible to get an extension to pay the rebate amount after 30 June.

Rate Concessions FAQ

What happens if I receive a Seniors Card or a Pensioner Concession Card during the financial year?
Partial concessions are available to pensioners and seniors who become eligible during the financial year. The partial concession will apply from the date your application is received.

How do I apply for a pensioner rebate?
Rebates are funded by the Western Australian State Government. Applications for pensioner rebates are made to the Water Corporation. Once the application is approved by the Water Corporation a copy is sent to the Shire’s Rates Officer who will make the eligible adjustments to your Shire rates. Complete an application online at or make a telephone application by calling 1300 659 951. If you are having trouble applying, visit us at the Shire of Jerramungup’s Administration Building and we will help you through the process. Remember to bring eligible concession cards with you.

Do I get a pensioner/senior rebate on the Emergency Services Levy?
Seniors and pensioners who qualify for a rebate for their general rates will receive the same percentage rebate on the Emergency Services Levy. Pensioners who are eligible to defer their general rates may also defer their Emergency Services Levy.

Is there a minimum or maximum rebate amount for seniors and pensioners?
Seniors who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 25% of their general rates. The senior rebate is capped to . There is no maximum or capped amount for the senior or pensioner rebate for the Emergency Services Levy.

What are my payment options?
If you are a registered and entitled pensioner/senior you have two options in relation to the payment of your current rates, as follows:

  1. Claim your rebate. If your portion of the general rates, Emergency Services Levy, all arrears and service charges are paid in full by 30 June, the Shire will be able to claim a rebate from the Office of State Revenue, on your behalf. Please note, the waste service refuse charge cannot be deferred and must be paid on or before 30 June.
  2. Defer the general rates and Emergency Services Levy on your property. For this option, the full rates amount and Emergency Services Levy will be deferred and remain as a charge against your property until the property is sold, or you move from the property. No interest will apply to the deferred amount. This option is not available for life tenants, seniors or pensioners entitled to a rebate of less than 50%. Please note, the waste service refuse charge cannot be deferred and must be paid on or before 26 August.

What happens if my circumstances change or I no longer receive a pension?
If any of your circumstances change such as your; pension type, address and or you have become ineligible, you must notify the Shire immediately.

Who determines the rulings for pensioners and seniors?
The Office of State Revenue determines all rules in relation to the rebates and deferments for pensioners and seniors. The Shire administers the rules regarding pensioner/seniors rebates and deferment of rates. The concession will apply from the date your application is received.