Demolition Works On Your Property

Generally, you will be required to obtain a demolition permit for any works involving the full or partial demolition, dismantling or removal of a building or incidental structure.

However, there are some circumstances in which a demolition permit is not required, including but not limited to:

  1. Demolition of a class 10 building or incidental structure if
    1. the floor area of the building is not greater than 40m2; and
    2. the demolition work will not adversely affect the safety and health of the occupants or other users of the building or incidental structure or of the public; and
    3. the building or incidental structure is not the subject of an order, agreement or permit under the Heritage Act;
  2. and others.

Please confirm whether your intended demolition work requires development approvals or is exempt from those requirements with the Shire’s Development Team before the commencement of any works.

To apply for a demolition permit you will need to submit the following documents:

  1. A completed application form for a demolition permit (BA5)
  2. relevant information as required, e.g. site plans indicating building to be demolished. Please note: applicants may need to provide more details for commercial or complex buildings;
  3. copy of any planning approvals under the Planning and Development Act 2005 where required;
  4. evidence of prescribed notifications (r. 19(2): (a) notification of the name, address and contact number of the applicant for a demolition permit and the name of the permit authority to which the application is made to be given to the Heritage Council of Western Australia if the place to which the application relates —
    1. is subject to any terms under the Heritage Act; or
    2. the notification required under the Occupational Safety and Health Regulations 1996 regulation 3.119;
    3. notification of the intended demolition work to each person who provides electricity, gas, telephone or water services to the place that is the subject of the application.
  5. evidence that the building or incidental structure to be demolished has been treated to ensure that it is not infested by rodents at the time of the demolition;
  6. appropriate consent forms or court orders where work adversely affects other land;
  7. where asbestos is present, details of the contractor; and
  8. payment of the prescribed fee and levy (if applicable).

The person named as demolition contractor may be required to be appropriately licensed by WorkSafe to carry out demolition work and may also require an asbestos removal licence.

To confirm whether you will need to engage a registered demolition contractor, please contact the Shire’s building surveyor.